Welcome to my blog!

Merry Meet & Thank you for visiting!
This blog is all about all the things that make me up. I am a Mother, I am a Pagan Witch, I am a Wife, I am a homemaker, I am a student, I am Spiritual, I am a Teacher, I am Liberal Hippie, I am a Voter, and I am extremely opinionated! Plan to see it all! If you don't like what you see, feel free to leave! However, chances are, if you stick around, you'll find more to love than hate!

Blessings!

Friday, January 17, 2014

My Best Busy Morning Tool & An Easy, Healthy Recipe Too!

My mornings generally consist of me running around like a headless chicken attempting to get myself and three children up, fed, dressed, packed & prepared and out the door before 8am.  And lets face it, when one kid can't find his book-bag and the other can't find his shoe and you're happy to just get the third on the potty before she pees on your floor, you don't have time to worry about making a healthy breakfast!

At the same time, we all know how important breakfast is.  Even more so, we know how important a healthy breakfast is.  But when your options are either get up even earlier to make a good healthy breakfast or end up eating pop-tarts on the way out the door, you have to find a middle road.  I wanted to have a hot, healthy breakfast that was not going to take me all morning to make or take them long to eat.  So what was my first thought?  Muffins!  But then I remembered, my oven is broke (long story) and they take nearly an hour in my counter top "electric oven." So I had to come up with another option.

Luckily I came across a "Cupcake Maker" by Sunbeam online one day, and it changed my life - or at least my mornings!  Now I plug in the machine, go wake the kids up, come back and drop in cupcake liners and batter and close the lid. In about 15mins, our muffins are finished and breakfast is on! It seriously couldn't be any easier.

There are lots of these "cupcake makers" on the market, but I have to tell you, this one was the best I found. MOST make only "mini" cupcakes or muffins, while this one makes regular sized ones. Which is great because it means I only have to make one batch (6 muffins) each morning.

And as for the batter, I make that up a on Sundays, it keeps in the fridge for up to a week without any issues.  So it's always ready when we are.  We've tried a number of different muffins, but this - so far - is our favorite!  These are super simple to make!  In fact, my 3 year old helps me make them nearly every week - if SHE can do it, you can too! Hell, if you read all this you've already proven that you can do things beyond her abilities - remember, she's 3.

**And remember, use all organic ingredients for the healthiest product!**

Peanut-Butter Banana Morning Muffins
Ingredients:
  • 5 Ripe Bananas
  • 1/2c Peanut Butter* (We prefer super chunky)
  • 1tsp Baking Soda
  • 2tsp Baking Powder
  • 1tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1egg
  • 1 1/2c Whole Wheat Flour
  • 2Tbls Chocolate Syrup  (organic & HFCS free)
  • 1/4c Flax Seed (optional)
*Peanut Butter can easily be subbed with whatever Nut Butter your family prefers OR Nut Free Wow-Butter.

Directions:
  1. Roughly mash bananas. Don't worry about making them smooth.
  2. Into the bananas , mix in Peanut Butter, Egg, Vanilla, Baking Soda, Baking Powder and Chocolate Syrup.
  3. Finally mix in Whole Wheat Flour a 1/2 cup at a time.  If adding Flax Seed, stir it in last. 
  4. IF you're baking these the old fashioned way, put them in a 350* oven for 12-15 minutes.  In my Cupcake Maker, they take between 10 and 14 mins depending on how full I fill the liners. 
Dried Fruits and chopped nuts can easily be added to this recipe to make any number of varieties.  We've tried dried cherries, apples, cranberries, raisins and a few others. For the most part, we've liked them all, so play around with whatever you have in the house, you may be shocked what you like.  Just make sure to stir in your additions at the end so they don't get to broken up by your mixer.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...