Welcome to my blog!

Merry Meet & Thank you for visiting!
This blog is all about all the things that make me up. I am a Mother, I am a Pagan Witch, I am a Wife, I am a homemaker, I am a student, I am Spiritual, I am a Teacher, I am Liberal Hippie, I am a Voter, and I am extremely opinionated! Plan to see it all! If you don't like what you see, feel free to leave! However, chances are, if you stick around, you'll find more to love than hate!

Blessings!

Friday, May 10, 2013

Fermented Dandelion Soda

Everyone thinks I'm nuts when they discover that I actually grow dandelions - on purpose! But here's the thing, they're actually really good for you!  They're known for their diuretic properties, which increase the amount of urine, flushing the kidneys for excess salts and toxins in the process. But it has many lesser known properties as well. They help build immunity in the liver & gallbladder. Stimulate the production of bile and help cure inflammatory ailments of the bile ducts.  They are also a good source of vitamins B1, B2, B5, B6, B12, C, E, and P (yes, there is a vitamin P, I'm not crazy!)  Plus, dandelions contain high levels of iron and calcium and notable amounts of potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and zinc.  All around, they're one of natures gifts, even though most of us just see them as weeds!

So yes, I plant them. And I have the tendency to pick them all from the yard, my neighbors yards and the park too... But then it becomes a game of "What do I do with this?"  Most of the greens just get mixed in with salads or put on sandwiches like other greens. And then there's tea. But I'm ALWAYS looking for new or different ways to use them. In my search for new ideas, I came across the idea of Fermented Dandelion Soda, and personally think it's really neat! I'm going to make some this weekend!  If we like it, I'll be adding it to the menu for Beltane, Litha and possibly Lammas as well.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm.. You know what. I've never saw them as anything other than a pretty weed either. I remember when I was a child picking them and telling my mom they were a pretty flower. She corrected me that they are a weed, but took it all the same.

    What do they taste like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom always told me they were good in salads, but she never used them that way.

      Dandelion is considered a "Bitter" herb. And the leaves can be, but they're good. Just make sure to get the leaves BEFORE the flowers bloom. Otherwise they're REALLY bitter.

      I'm not a fan of the flowers straight, I prefer them IN things - like the soda or dried and used in tea. They're sweeter than the leaves, but still not "sweet." Honestly, it's hard to compare them to anything, the flavor is kinda special.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...