Welcome to my blog!

Merry Meet & Thank you for visiting!
This blog is all about all the things that make me up. I am a Mother, I am a Pagan Witch, I am a Wife, I am a homemaker, I am a student, I am Spiritual, I am a Teacher, I am Liberal Hippie, I am a Voter, and I am extremely opinionated! Plan to see it all! If you don't like what you see, feel free to leave! However, chances are, if you stick around, you'll find more to love than hate!

Blessings!

Monday, March 11, 2013

Getting Started With Essential Oils

I've been getting A LOT of questions lately about Essential Oils and where to start. Well, getting started is not really as hard as it seems. It can be overwhelming, but the key is to go slowly and don't try to learn it all at once.

Get yourself a "guide" book or two and a few good quality essential oils (try starting with no more than 3 or 4). Once you learn to use those few oils - learn their uses, correspondences, safety information and methods of use - then move on to a few more.

Some of the more popular essential oils to consider starting with are:
  • Lavender
  • Tea Tree
  • Peppermint
  • Eualyptus
  • Sweet Orange
  • Rosemary
Essential Oils are often found at health food stores, but you can also buy them online. There are many companies out there, but not all essential oils are created equal, so ensure that what you're buying is 100% Pure.  My own collection is made up of Eden's Garden and Mountain Rose Herbs, but I have friends who swear by Aura Cacia and DoTerra, so I know those are good brands as well. 

As for books, there are tons out there... But some of the better ones are:
Outside of finding a good book and starting slowly, the best advice I can give you is to use some common sense. Don't take anything internally unless you know it's safe, and test any "topical" oils in a small spot to ensure that you won't have a negative reaction, essential oils are safer and more natural than conventional medications, but they are also extremely strong plant oils, and can create allergic reactions - just like plants can.

My last tip is to keep a journal or recipe book. A simple note book will work. I started keeping one when I first started. It works almost like a "quick guide" book. Each page is topped with a type of EO and then I write down all I can about it. It's Scientific name, alternative names, what it's good for, safety information and the best ways to use it (some oils are best used for aromatherapy but aren't great if used topically, and so on), plus any other little tid-bits I find. I also have a notebook (well, a 3-ring binder) where I keep recipes and "how to" information. Most of the recipes I've posted here on the blog I included in there, along with my own two cents about them - tweaks or additions.  The point is that my brain, like yours I suspect, simply won't hold all this information perfectly, so having somewhere to keep it all is very useful.

However you choose to get started... Enjoy your new found love of oils! I know I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...