Welcome to my blog!

Merry Meet & Thank you for visiting!
This blog is all about all the things that make me up. I am a Mother, I am a Pagan Witch, I am a Wife, I am a homemaker, I am a student, I am Spiritual, I am a Teacher, I am Liberal Hippie, I am a Voter, and I am extremely opinionated! Plan to see it all! If you don't like what you see, feel free to leave! However, chances are, if you stick around, you'll find more to love than hate!

Blessings!

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Fox Comments and what I'm Thinking...

I wasn't home for the most part yesterday when this really hit the fan, so I really considered simply skipping over the issue altogether. But I felt that would really be doing myself and the cause a great disservice.  I am, as you all know, a very Proud Pagan, and I've always been someone who stood up for what she believed in. So brushing over this issue as if it didn't happen, would simply not be like me at all!

I'm going to do my best to keep this short, at this point there are easily over 5000 other angry Pagans ranting on their own blogs, vlogs, facebook & twitter pages and who knows what other social media groups and pages. On some level I almost feel like the point has been made by now. But I'm sure those who needed to get that point, aren't reading or watching those posts. Although something tells me their bosses are going to pay attention to the Recent Petition demanding their Public Apology and the thousands of emails and comments on their webpage from insulted Wiccans and Pagans all over the country - and most likely, the world.

For those who have yet to see the video (meaning those who are living under a rock) here it is. If you haven't seen it yet, please watch it BEFORE you read the rest of my comments, some of them won't make much sense if you don't know what I'm referring to.



My FIRST reaction to this dark moment in media history was anger! And to be honest, each time I watch it I get angry all over again. But more than anger, this video (and those related to it - this wasn't the only one) breeds sadness in me!  I'm greatly saddened that, in this day and age, people continue to be this ignorant to the world around them.

And what upsets me more than the fact that these individuals are so "out of the loop" is the fact that they are voicing their bias and ignorance on a so called "News Program" that many others look to for "education" purposes.  The idea that these individuals would think that making such comments about ANY religious group on a National News Program completely blows my mind! You can bet if someone from a minority faith were making statements like this on national television about their faith, they would do everything in their power to ensure that the entire program were canceled... 

Now I know, it's Faux News, I shouldn't be shocked! And on some level, I'm not. These "hosts" and "reporters" have been making statements like this more and more lately. Just last week I was a little saddened by some rather ignorant comments made by Kelly Ripa on her morning show. And don't get me started on all the comments made by Kathy Lee over the years.

To me, it means TWO things. First, it means that there is still a HUGE amount of bigotry out there when it comes to religion! And second, it tells me that there are still a HUGE amount of people out there who are undereducated about Pagan beliefs, practices and lifestyles. BOTH of these issues are completely solvable! First, we all - Pagan or not - NEED to speak up against intolerance and prejudice when we see or hear it. Even if it's against a faith or lifestyle we may not totally understand or agree with. And we all need to work to squash our own prejudices against other faiths or lifestyles. And Second, we ALL need to educate ourselves, our children and those around us on the FACTS about other faiths, rather than relying on the media to do it for us. YES, it's more work, but it's worth it!

Beyond all that, there are a few comments in the video I feel I NEED to address. First, believe it or not, there are quite a few of us! In fact, if you do a little homework, Pagans make up around 10% of the American population. And Wicca is the FASTEST growing faith in the US today.  And just to put that in perspective, Christians (which are the largest single religious group) make up about 45% of the American population.  Second, I'm not quite sure how these reporters made it through college if they can't tell the difference between 20% and 20. The University of Michigan made the statement that Pagan/Wiccan holidays now make up 20% of their "off-days." Wiccans do NOT have 20 Holidays! IF you were to add in the Esbats for some reason, you would get 20, but these are not commonly seen as, or recognized as "Holidays." In fact, there are only 8 Holidays. Eight days that I would say ANY Pagan or Wiccan who has been practicing more than a year can name easily! I mean, seriously, would you assume a Christian can name all the Christian holidays? Then why would you assume a Pagan can't name all theirs? What kind of fool?!? Oh, and WHY would anyone be upset that their faith is FINALLY being recognized as equal to those around them? IF these reporters feel Pagans should be upset by their faith being seen as equal, maybe they should live a single day being told that they aren't equal! They'd change their tune REAL QUICK!

Anyways, I don't want to turn this in to a huge run on rant - which it can easily become. So I'm going to stop. But I do hope that Fox, and these reporters learn from the thousands and thousands of angry people who have messaged, emailed and petitioned them against these comments! And I hope that the Pagan community as a whole takes action, not just against these comments, but to help educate those around them as much as possible so that statements like this become a thing of the past!

Oh, and by the way - I don't play D&D! I'm not YET Middle Aged! I'm NOT divorced - in fact, my 7th anniversary is in a week. I'm NOT a midwife - although I would LOVE to be! And yes, I like incense, and candles, like many Non-Pagans I know! Just thought I'd put that out there!

2 comments:

  1. For some reason I can't sign in on the causes page to sign the petition. I thought about ranting on my blog too, but decided others were doing a good job so the world didn't need one more rant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A LOT of people have chosen to skip the petition at this point (it has over 24000 signatures now) and send a simple post card in with a small message requesting an apology.

      I did sign the petition, but I think this is a good idea too...

      Here is the template I got:

      Dear Fox and Friends,
      I am apart of the Wiccan/ Pagan Community, and what you did on your broadcast was very discriminatory and disrespectful to our faith.
      We would like for you to do a recap and apologize to our community, as well as provide the public with correct information.
      Thank you for being cooperative,
      [Name here]
      ~~~
      Address: 1211 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...