Welcome to my blog!

Merry Meet & Thank you for visiting!
This blog is all about all the things that make me up. I am a Mother, I am a Pagan Witch, I am a Wife, I am a homemaker, I am a student, I am Spiritual, I am a Teacher, I am Liberal Hippie, I am a Voter, and I am extremely opinionated! Plan to see it all! If you don't like what you see, feel free to leave! However, chances are, if you stick around, you'll find more to love than hate!

Blessings!

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Paid Maternity Leave in the US

In many ways, the US is the best country around! In may other ways, we are very very lacking! Maternity leave is one of those areas that needs some MAJOR improvement!

As a mother of three, I have taken leave, quit a job over the need to stay home with my kids and been fired because I was pregnant. Now, I am blessed in my life! I have a hard working wonderful husband who will break his back every day so that I can be here to care for our children. Neither of us would even entertain the idea of daily childcare - be that a nanny, sitters or daycare... We are their parents and we should be caring for them.

BUT, not everyone has those blessings. I know many mothers who have gone back to work - full time or more - just weeks after giving birth. Their poor new infant is placed in daycare with 20 other infants and denied the ability to properly bond, nurse or even sleep when it needs to. I even know one woman who had her baby on a Wednesday and returned to her Server Job on Friday! Her child was less than 48hours old when she was left with family for a full 10 hour stretch so that her mom could earn enough money to pay the rent, pay their bills and give her the things she needs in life.

It's like that everywhere though, right? Well, NO! In fact, the US is one of only THREE nations around the world that does not offer paid maternity leave for it's female working force. If we look at specific countries in comparison, it's easy to see the difference -

ThinkProgress.org
Now, maybe it's just me, but when we compare countries like Mexico and Pakistan, which we in the US are consistantly told are "inferior" countries to the US, and find that they are taking bigger strides towards caring for their women and infants than we are,  there is a HUGE issue!

We owe it to our children to take the best care of them we can! Yes, that includes providing for them monetarily. BUT does it need to come at the price it currently is? I don't believe so. Our government needs to take a stand for women and infants and give them the ability to become healthy members of society! WHY are countries like Japan, Germany and France able to do this - if we aren't? I don't buy that we aren't. We ARE able, we simply prefer not to treat people with the dignity they deserve.

Discover how the US really stands up  -  http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/05/22/maternity-leaves-around-the-world_n_1536120.html

If you believe infants DESERVE to be at home with their mother to start their life, make your voice heard:  https://secure2.convio.net/npwf/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=643

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...