Welcome to my blog!

Merry Meet & Thank you for visiting!
This blog is all about all the things that make me up. I am a Mother, I am a Pagan Witch, I am a Wife, I am a homemaker, I am a student, I am Spiritual, I am a Teacher, I am Liberal Hippie, I am a Voter, and I am extremely opinionated! Plan to see it all! If you don't like what you see, feel free to leave! However, chances are, if you stick around, you'll find more to love than hate!

Blessings!

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Homemade "Vaseline"

When I was a kid, my mom used Petroleum Jelly for everything. We used in on our hands and feet, in place of lip balm and I remember being told that smearing it on my teeth would help me smile more.  Now that I know what Petroleum Jelly really is, I don't know how - or why - anyone would ever use it on their body - or their kids bodies for that matter.

For those who don't know what Petroleum Jelly is, it's a byproduct of Petroleum manufacturing. In 1859, workers on oil rigs noticed that a dense substance was clogging their drills. Allegedly, someone came up with the idea of putting the substance on cuts and burns, and after some chemical refinement, commercial petroleum jelly began to be marketed on a wide scale.

Now, why anyone would see a random jelly clinging to their drill and think it was a good idea to smear it on their body is beyond me, but people to crazy things! I know for me, and my family, it's simply NOT something we consider acceptable!

There are lots of options - Coconut Oil is my favorite. But for those who prefer more of a "salve" consistency this is a great basic recipe. You can also easily personalize this to meet whatever needs you have!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...