Welcome to my blog!

Merry Meet & Thank you for visiting!
This blog is all about all the things that make me up. I am a Mother, I am a Pagan Witch, I am a Wife, I am a homemaker, I am a student, I am Spiritual, I am a Teacher, I am Liberal Hippie, I am a Voter, and I am extremely opinionated! Plan to see it all! If you don't like what you see, feel free to leave! However, chances are, if you stick around, you'll find more to love than hate!

Blessings!

Monday, December 17, 2012

The People have Spoken!

If you haven't seen the news yet, the Westboro Baptist Church has announced that they plan to picket the funeral services of those children who were killed in the Sandy Hook School Shooting... These people are so disgusting even the KKK has taken notice and vowed to stand up against their hate. And seriously, you know there's something wrong when the KKK is screaming "You're to hateful!"

Since their announcement numerous petitions have been created on the Whitehouse.gov's petition site urging the president/congress and anyone else who may have the power to remove the WBC's standing as a religious organization and officially label them a "hate group."  Now, there are many many petitions on this site, but only those who earn 25,000 signatures or more ever gain notice from officials. These petitions have earned THOUSANDS of signatures above and beyond that threshold and will undoubtedly earn notice!  One petition earned over 150,000 signatures in just 3 days! Another broke the 25,000 signatures goal in less than 24 hours!

I would say that even if the group doesn't lose their tax exempt status, something will have to be done on a large scale to protect people from them and groups like them.


Check out the petitions here -

Legally recognize Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/legally-recognize-westboro-baptist-church-hate-group/DYf3pH2d

Revoke the tax exempt status of the Westboro Baptist Church & re-classify Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/revoke-tax-exempt-status-westboro-baptist-church-re-classify-westboro-baptist-church-hate-group/tNVz4V7Q

Remove the Westboro Baptist Church's 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status, and make it retroactive.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/remove-westboro-baptist-churchs-501c3-tax-exempt-status-and-make-it-retroactive/kmYR4DTL

There is also a petition to attempt to make picketing funerals illegal. While it does not directly name the WBC, it is their continued appearance at the funerals of lost children and soldiers that has prompted it. However, if such a law were put in to place it would not stop JUST the WBC but all groups from targeting grieving families and friends...

Make Petitioning Funerals Illegal
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/make-petitioning-funerals-illegal/zl93jC5w


2 comments:

  1. This made me cry. I had no idea their hate was going to be spread to these poor innocent souls! I signed every one of those petitions, and I shared this post with my friends. I pray these bigots are shut down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we can't "shut them down" because they will continue to have the freedom to speak their mind and to gather - as we all do. However, if their tax exemptions are removed they will no longer have some of the financial means they do today which will stop them to some extent. And if they are added to the "hate group" list local governments will be better prepared when issuing permits for pickets and other gatherings. The final petition - to illegalize picketing funerals - will not only stop them, but everyone from targeting families of the fallen, which is a blessing all around!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...