Welcome to my blog!

Merry Meet & Thank you for visiting!
This blog is all about all the things that make me up. I am a Mother, I am a Pagan Witch, I am a Wife, I am a homemaker, I am a student, I am Spiritual, I am a Teacher, I am Liberal Hippie, I am a Voter, and I am extremely opinionated! Plan to see it all! If you don't like what you see, feel free to leave! However, chances are, if you stick around, you'll find more to love than hate!

Blessings!

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Teething Tincture Recipe

If you've ever been around a child who is teething you know how much misery they are in. And it's hard being unable to take the pain away. But there are easy natural ways to deal with this.  One of them is a Teething Tincture.

While most Tincture Recipes call for Vodka, I prefer to use Whiskey on this one, but Vodka works too...

You will need:
  • 2oz Dried Chamomile 
  • 10 oz Whiskey (I use Black Velvet or Crown Royal)
  • Large Mason Jar with Tight Lid
  • Cheese Cloth or fine strainer
  • Dropper Bottles
How to:
Run a sharp knife through the Chamomile, simply to break it up a little, you don't want powder, so just chop slightly.  Place your Chamomile and Alcohol in your Mason jar, seal and shake. Place your jar in a cool dark place (bedroom closets are great for this!)

Two or Three times a day, shake your mixture. After 4 to 6 weeks, strain your mixture through Cheesecloth or another fine strainer (like a tea strainer). Squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible.

Poor in to Dropper Bottles. If you wish you can use one dropper and keep the remainder in your mason jar. Mark your bottles with the date and tincture name, so you know when you need them. Tinctures are good for up to 2 years, but can be used beyond that if you keep in mind that they will weaken in strength.


You will yield between 8 and 9 fl.oz. from this method. Remember to keep whatever you get in a dark dry and cool area. Heat and light will "spoil" the herb and moisture can create mold issues. Personally, once I put it in the dropper bottle, I put it in the fridge.

They DO sell a version of this in most drug stores, but it is VERY expensive and it's a weaker mixture so it does not work as well.

If your child is teething, simply give them a few drops every hour. If they are in pain at the moment and you don't want to wait for the mixture to work (it does take a while if you're giving it every hour) simply rub a few drops on their sore gums. Just be aware of any teeth they already have.

Whiskey has been used for ages for teething.Whiskey works as a local anesthetic, so rubbing it on their gums helps to ease the pain rather quickly. Chamomile is an anti-inflammatory, so it helps to ease pain and swelling longer term than Whiskey alone will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...