Welcome to my blog!

Merry Meet & Thank you for visiting!
This blog is all about all the things that make me up. I am a Mother, I am a Pagan Witch, I am a Wife, I am a homemaker, I am a student, I am Spiritual, I am a Teacher, I am Liberal Hippie, I am a Voter, and I am extremely opinionated! Plan to see it all! If you don't like what you see, feel free to leave! However, chances are, if you stick around, you'll find more to love than hate!

Blessings!

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Pagan Prayer

   **This was originally written and published on My One Witch's Wonderland Blog, which has since closed!

One thing I think that tends to be left out of most Pagan websites and books is the subject of Prayer. Most people see prayer as a Christian concept. When in reality it's roots date back to the beginning of time. In essence prayer is simply the act of speaking with your Deity, be they God or Goddess or something else... For Pagans the relationships we have with out Deities tend to be something of a very personal matter, we see their presence in our day to day life without really having a great need to search. However, this doesn't mean that we shouldn't speak with the Gods, just as anyone from a more "mainstream" religion would do.

For Muslims, Jews and Christians prayer is a MUST in order to properly connect with their God, and in many ways is the only way they have to really speak to them. For Pagans this isn't the case. We connect with out Gods and Goddesses while going about our day and of course through ritual. And because of this many see prayer as something which just isn't needed. However, I feel greatly different. Prayer for Pagans is just as important as it is for any other group. It's our any time direct line to the powers that be.

But why is prayer important when we see the Gods in all we do? Well, the simplest reason is because just because we see them every day in all we do, doesn't mean we are connected to them. And while rituals are a great way to stay connected to them, they tend to be a "special occasion" type of thing...

In addition to allowing us a direct connection to the Gods, prayer is a great way to bring the family together for a few moments each day with no arguments, no rushing around and no stress... It's also a wonderful way to bring small children in to your faith. Many parents do not include small children in rituals because they want to be able to concentrate on their actions instead of their kids, which is fine. However, it also keeps a distance between your faith and your children. Morning, meal & bedtime blessings are a great way to involve children and help them to feel connected to the Gods as well. Prayer could help to ease fears of the dark, starting a new school day or just eating peas, plus it helps to drive home the fact that everything we have in life truly is a gift from the Gods...  A lesson that we can never teach to early!

Some do a "daily devotional" which also helps them to stay connected, but these too are a form of prayer. For me I do a daily devotional in addition to morning and evening prayers as well as thanks before meals and small more personal prayers all through the day when I need some extra little boost...

So, what do you say in a Prayer? Christians, Jews and Muslims all have very specific prayers for all for different reasons, but what about Pagan prayers? Well, you will find some pre-written prayers in books and on some websites, but I am a big fan of simply speaking from the heart. They don't need to rhyme or anything, just close your eyes for a moment and speak...  A prayer can be as simple as "Great Goddess, I thank you for this food" or as complicated as you want them to be.

I have written my own Daily Devotion, Morning Blessing, Meal Time Blessing and Evening Blessings, which I use daily. And beyond that, I simply say what needs said... For those of you who are a little afraid of the "just talk" method or who would like some help with starting the process, here are some great resources...


Goddess Prayers & Invocation Website

A Book of Pagan Prayer


Dewdrops In The Moonlight: A Book of Pagan Prayer

A Daily Book of Pagan Prayer

The Pagan Book of Living and Dying: Practical Rituals, Prayers, Blessings, and Meditations on Crossing Over

You'll also be able to find some basic prayers and devotional information in throughout the many Book of Shadows available for purchase today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...