Welcome to my blog!

Merry Meet & Thank you for visiting!
This blog is all about all the things that make me up. I am a Mother, I am a Pagan Witch, I am a Wife, I am a homemaker, I am a student, I am Spiritual, I am a Teacher, I am Liberal Hippie, I am a Voter, and I am extremely opinionated! Plan to see it all! If you don't like what you see, feel free to leave! However, chances are, if you stick around, you'll find more to love than hate!

Blessings!

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Greedy Companies Layoff Employees and Blame Obamacare

Since the re-election of President Obama, numerous companies have announced that they will be either laying off or reducing the hours of employees in order to avoid having to offer healthcare under the Obamacare law. And as a result millions of Americans are happily screaming "It's Obama's fault."

But here are some facts... These companies net MILLIONS in profits each year, they are NOT being hurt by having to take proper care of their employees. Small businesses, those who don't make enough money to afford to provide healthcare, are exempt from the law. The exemptions for small businesses were meant to ensure that those companies who couldn't afford it, didn't go under, not so that the companies who could afford it would cheat their employees just so they don't have to.

And I do understand wanting to place blame, because frankly, there IS someone at fault here. But that person is NOT Obama. It's the greedy companies who don't want to cut in to their millions in profits to properly care for their employees! It's these companies who put the all mighty dollar a head of people who are to blame! Because the companies who make enough to be included in the law, should have been providing health care options to their employees the whole time, there shouldn't have ever had to be a law put in place to make it happen!

Yes. People are loosing their jobs. And it's horrendous that it's happening. And No, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes. But the fact is that we should be placing the blame where it's due, not trying to find an out for Big Business - yet again!

Now, I can't possibly tell you all what to do, but I know, for me, for my family, we will be taking our business elsewhere when we can! The companies are NOT the types of businesses we wish to support! If you aren't sure which companies these are... Bookmark this blog post. I will be adding them to the list as I get their names!

Here's what I have so far:
  • Papa John's 
  • Applebees
  • Darden Restaurants (including: Olive Garden, Long Horn Steakhouse, Red Lobster, Bahama Breeze, Eddie V's, Yard House, Seasons 52 and The Capital Grill)
  • Stryker (makes artificial hips & knees)
  • Welch Allyn (manufactures medical diagnostic equipment)
  • Boston Scientific 
  • Smith & Nephew
  • Abbott Labs
  • Covidien
  • Kinetic Concepts
  • St. Jude Medical
  • Hill Rom
  • Medtronic (medical device maker)
  • Dana Holding Corp. (global auto parts manufacturing) 

2 comments:

  1. Add Darden's. They are the parent company to Olive Garden (where they recently switched to pooled tips so employees make $2.13 an hour now) and Red Lobster.
    There are also many businesses doing the same thing, but NOT publicizing it. The next time you shop, just ask the cashier - they'll be happy to tell you. My son has strict instructions on clocking out so he NEVER goes over the allotted hours. I won't say where he works, but I won't shop there. I choose Trader Joe's, ALDI's and IKEA for most of my shopping. All provide insurance for even part-timers, as well as paying over what union employees would make. I don't do coffee, but Caribou also offers benefits to part-timers.
    Shame on these businesses. Had they provided for their hard working employees in the first place, no legislation would have been required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will add them to the list. I had heard Darden was doing this, but didn't find proof until today.

      I will say though, that I worked for a restaurant for years, and if we went over our "allotted hours" we would put our jobs at risk... And they DID offer healthcare - just not one you could afford. That's been going on for years! Just as the tip pooling has. I quit eating at Applebees years ago because of that issue. I'm a firm believer that a server should get the tips they earn and not have to share with those who don't.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...