Welcome to my blog!

Merry Meet & Thank you for visiting!
This blog is all about all the things that make me up. I am a Mother, I am a Pagan Witch, I am a Wife, I am a homemaker, I am a student, I am Spiritual, I am a Teacher, I am Liberal Hippie, I am a Voter, and I am extremely opinionated! Plan to see it all! If you don't like what you see, feel free to leave! However, chances are, if you stick around, you'll find more to love than hate!

Blessings!

Friday, November 23, 2012

A Natural Age of Weaning

In the United States the average breastfeeding term is 6 months! Not only is this deplorable, it's completely unnatural! Infants are made to be breastfed and breasts are made to feed them. People who know me, know I have nursed all my children. Regrettably I weaned my oldest son at just 13 months due to some medical issues. And unfortunately my second son weaned himself at just over 2 1/2 years. My daughter is going to be 2 next month, and so far, has showed no signs of wanting to give it up. I HOPE she goes til at least 3 years, but I'll be happy so long as she weans on her own time.

Now, I do realize that not every mother has the ability to nurse til the child is ready to quit. Some, like with my oldest, have to quit early because of medical issues. Others have to work or have other issues with time and scheduling. I mean, being a mother is hard! And none of us are perfect! But there is, or should be, a level of "best" that we should at least strive to achieve - even if we don't always hit the mark. For our children's sake it should be to provide them with the healthiest start to life we can, and that includes breastfeeding.

But the question comes to nearly all moms: "When to wean?" And society has a LOT of ideas! Unfortunately our culture has a notion that breastfeeding past 6 or 8 months is somehow damaging to children. The clear fact is, it's not! Breastfeeding past 12 months and even in to 2 or 3 (or more) years is beneficial to both child AND mom! But the question still comes up...

Something we should, and unfortunately rarely do, is take in to account what our bodies were MADE to do! As well as how people in other countries handle this issue, and how their children mature and grow. Personally, I think if we do this, the question of when to wean is clearly answered - When THEY are ready... I hope to self wean with my daughter, as I did my son! And hopefully, she waits longer than he did! Either way, I know I'm doing what's best for my child and those that don't like it can suck it! I'm more interested in doing what is best for my daughter than caving to societies stigmas and pressures...

Anyways, I suggest anyone looking for some thought provoking information on this subject to check out this article! It's very worth the read!

Read "A Natural Age of Weaning":  http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...