Welcome to my blog!

Merry Meet & Thank you for visiting!
This blog is all about all the things that make me up. I am a Mother, I am a Pagan Witch, I am a Wife, I am a homemaker, I am a student, I am Spiritual, I am a Teacher, I am Liberal Hippie, I am a Voter, and I am extremely opinionated! Plan to see it all! If you don't like what you see, feel free to leave! However, chances are, if you stick around, you'll find more to love than hate!

Blessings!

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Homemade Fabric Refresher Spray...

My husband INSISTS on having store bought Fabric Refresher in the house. I, however, refuse to buy anything with that many chemicals in it... So, when this bottle runs out (which at the rate he uses it will be soon) I'm going to simply refill the bottle and act like I bought more. He'll never know the difference!

Making your own household products is no where near as hard as it seems and like with making your own food, you get to control what goes in it. If you look up the commercial fabric refresher sprays (Febreze) you'll find some really scary things...  From basic skin and lung irritants, to more damaging concerns like endocrine/reproductive effects...

Plus, if you make your own you'll save a good amount of cash too. A bottle of Febreze can run somewhere around $5 on the shelf. If you have a coupon it could cost less, but I've seen it sell at up to $7 a bottle in some places. WOW! Making your own will literally cost you less than $2, and if you reuse a bottle you already have and already own a funnel, knock that down to less than $1!! No, I'm not kidding. Over a year, that's a HUGE savings!

So, there are two main methods here. The green method and the not so green method. You can tweak depending on what you like and want in your home, but that's pretty much it.

The green method requires the use of Essential Oils. While a bottle of Essential oils can seem to be expensive, they last forever because you use drops, not pours. The not-so-green method will use store bought Fabric softener, which will usually have some of the same health and environmental concerns of the Febreze, but will cost you less to use. Other ingredients will usually include water and either baking soda or vinegar.

Personally, I prefer to use the Baking Soda. But it CAN leave a residue behind if you don't have your BS to Water ratio right. Vinegar is best to use if your family has been battling illness as it will help to kill off germs and bacteria that may be causing your health issues. It DOES have a strong smell, but the odor will dissipate after it dries.

Okay, recipe time... This is very simple, simply pour all ingredients in to a spray bottle (these recipes are for a 24oz bottle), fill with water, tighten the lid and shake. Then use as you would Febreze.

TIP: If you're using Baking Soda, make sure to use WARM water and not cold so that it properly dissolves.

Green Method Recipe:
  • 1 cup Baking Soda (or Vinegar)
  • 10-15 drops of Essential Oil**
**Please note, if you have cats, essential oils can harm them. Do NOT spray their personal area and allow all areas where you use oils to dry completely before allowing the cat in contact with it. If you see a change in your cats behavior, try using less oil or a different kind.

Not-So-Green Method Recipe:
  • 2Tbls Baking Soda (or Vinegar)
  • 4Tbls Fabric Softener
  • 3c Water
 There you have it, it couldn't be easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...