Welcome to my blog!

Merry Meet & Thank you for visiting!
This blog is all about all the things that make me up. I am a Mother, I am a Pagan Witch, I am a Wife, I am a homemaker, I am a student, I am Spiritual, I am a Teacher, I am Liberal Hippie, I am a Voter, and I am extremely opinionated! Plan to see it all! If you don't like what you see, feel free to leave! However, chances are, if you stick around, you'll find more to love than hate!

Blessings!

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Sprouts!


Try growing your own sprouts. All you need are some seeds, a large, clean jar and some netted fabric secured with a band. Soak seeds that have been thoroughly rinsed for the first 24 hours in clean cool water, draining and refreshing the water several times. Store in the dark. Then rinse twice a day with fresh clean water and set in sunlight. Your sprouts will be ready to eat in a week.
 
 
 WHAT TO DO WITH SPROUTS
Sprouts add texture and flavor to your cooking. Mustard and radish sprouts are quite spicy, while alfalfa, bean, and sunflower sprouts are very mild and are used more for texture. They all make good snacks on their own, or use leafy sprouts like radish, alfalfa, sunflower, or onion in salads. Throw mung bean or soybean sprouts into a stir-fry. Onion sprouts are great on burgers and sandwiches.

A FEW THINGS TO KNOW

Rinsing is critical during germination. You can get sick if the sprouts start to mold. Plus, they might stink up your kitchen.

• Bean sprouts should be shielded from all light so they don’t develop any chlorophyll—they become bitter when they turn green. But if you are sprouting something like radish or alfalfa, the sprouts look sickly if you don’t let ’em green up. If they’re a little pale, try moving the jar to a place that gets more indirect sunlight.

• Do not try to sprout kidney beans, either red or white (a.k.a. cannellini beans). Raw kidney beans contain a toxin that’s destroyed during cooking. Eating them raw will make you sick.


Originally Posted at - http://www.facebook.com/emasherbs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...