Welcome to my blog!

Merry Meet & Thank you for visiting!
This blog is all about all the things that make me up. I am a Mother, I am a Pagan Witch, I am a Wife, I am a homemaker, I am a student, I am Spiritual, I am a Teacher, I am Liberal Hippie, I am a Voter, and I am extremely opinionated! Plan to see it all! If you don't like what you see, feel free to leave! However, chances are, if you stick around, you'll find more to love than hate!

Blessings!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Playing the Victim...

I am all about speaking up, speaking out and standing up for what you believe. If I wasn't I wouldn't be me. But I don't understand this need to play the victim just to get the point made. If you want to spread the word about something, teach someone something or just make a point, great, speak up and have your voice heard. HOWEVER, you should be able to make a point without making yourself, or your cause, seem like some kind of victim or target. For the most part, you aren't! Sure, there are always going to be groups out there who have different agendas or beliefs than yours, but that doesn't mean they are working to actively harm you!

I was just reading another blog (and if you read my comments on it, you know which one I'm talking about) which was talking about how "OB/GYNs will try and force you in to a vaginal exam during pregnancy." Really? I have 3 children, I've never once been forced or even pushed in to a vaginal exam I didn't want. In fact, my doctors didn't ever ask to start doing them til I started dilating and was in pain. Now, am I saying ALL doctors are this way? Of course not, but scaring expecting or soon to be expecting mothers in to "Refusing" a vaginal exam before the issue ever comes up isn't necessary to educate them on the fact that it's not needed...

And I run in to the same thing in just about every advocacy circle I run in... Breastfeeding circles would have you believe every shop owner out there is trying to have you removed from their property by force if you try to nurse your child there... Non-Vaxing circles would have you believe the schools will try and lock you up for not vaxing your kids or that you have a fight on your hands when it comes time to register for kindergarten. Religious Tolerance circles would have you believe that every member has had their life threatened just for being different. Pro-Choice circles want you to think that abortion doctors fear for their lives. Pro-LGBT groups want you to think that gay kids everywhere are in danger of being attacked by their teachers, families and fellow students...

Obviously, in SOME cases, these groups aren't totally wrong. But at the same time, they aren't always completely right either... I do my best to raise my voice and make a difference where I can. I educate others to the best of my abilities on the realities of Natural living, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, non-vaxing and non-medicating. And I am usually the first to speak up for the rights of women, homosexuals and anyone I feel is being abused or bullied in any way! But I do my best to do so without trying to make myself or my cause in to some kind of victim. The truth is, I'm NOT a victim! And neither are the vast majority of those in these groups. Have I been bullied, victimized and threatened? Yep! And I've always made it known when it happens and used it as both a learning and a teaching experience, but I have NEVER, and will NEVER assume that because I take a stand on something that I need to come off as the victim to make my point. I know how to educate and advocate without bullying, victimizing or threatening others - which is really what you're doing when you start playing the "they're the bad guy" card every time you open your mouth...  So cut it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...